Safe Skin Care
If you've read my Beautycounter by Danielle page (or knew me during my late 20s), you know that I went through several years of severe skin troubles that impacted my sleep, stress levels, self-confidence, career, and overall well-being . As a result, I've spent a lot of time looking into the safety of skin care products and today, I cannot encourage anyone enough to look into products you are putting on your skin. You'd be surprised the ingredients that are being used without any data to support their safety, or that even have data to suggest they may be harmful. Will a potential allergen or irritant DEFINITELY cause an immediate or delayed reaction, or a hormonally disruptive or cell modulating ingredient absolutely cause developmental changes or cancer? Of course not. But as safer options become available, there are less reasons to even risk it.
- Beautycounter - I started using them in 2016 and haven't looked back. They have been at the forefront of the safer skin care movement since 2013 with some of the strictest strategies to maintain product safety and offer trustworthy, effective, and long-lasting products for the entire family, to include babies, children, men, and all of their products are safe for pregnant and nursing women. I was so impressed with the quality of their products and their mission that I became a consultant in 2019. You will see I recommend many products by Beautycounter, simply because I trust their product efficacy and safety. That being sad, if a different company makes a better product, I will recommend that insetad. My goal is to give you the best information based on my own experiences.
- Drunk Elephant
- California Baby
Regardless of which skin care company and products you decide to use, I strongly recommend looking at a few of the resources below. There is an increasing amount of tools and data made available to the public that can help you decide which products to use (or not to use!). Please take a few minutes to educate yourself on this topic - you can decide how important this is to you, but at least make it an informed decision.
- Environmental Working Group (EWG) Skin Deep Database - the most valuable resource in this list! GIve it a shot.
- Think Dirty app
- Healthy Child Healthy World
- Breast Cancer Prevention Partners / Campaign for Safe Cosmetics (a project by BCPP)
- National Institute of Environmental Health Science: Chemical Exposures: The Ugly Side of Beauty Products
- Healthline Article - Carcinogenic ingredients in your skin care products?
- Biologi Article - Five skincare ingredients linked to cancer - are they in your products?